Some Favorite Reads of 2021

A pandemic seems like the perfect time to embark on a journey of self-education. Perhaps the time had finally come to dig into those classics I somehow never read. But no. Unlike the gentleman I met who used this year to reread Proust (???!!!), my tastes (and ability to concentrate) often led me in the direction of thrillers and mysteries. Still, I have some great recommendations if you're on the lookout for a good read. 

The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz. Here's the set up. Jacob Finch Bonner is a frustrated author teaching writing at a third rate school. As they say, those who can't do, teach. You can imagine his reaction when one of his students declares he doesn't need the professor's help because the plot of his book in progress is a sure thing. Bonner can't wait for this kid to get his comeuppance. But then Bonner learns the gist of the plot line and has to admit his student's book is one he could only dream of writing. Suffice it to say that things quickly get out of control from there. I'm happy to report that this book about a wildly compelling plot does in fact have a wildly compelling plot with twists and turns that kept me on the edge of my seat until the last page. 

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. I am not a reader of cozy mysteries. I like my thrillers violent and heart pounding. What can I say? It relaxes me. But when my sister handed off The Thursday Murder Club, I gave it a try. It is one of the most charming books I've ever read. If you don't know the premise, a group of retirees living in an upscale independent living community get together weekly to discuss -- and investigate -- cold cases. (The founder of the group was a cop with access to old police files.) But then a real life murder happens in their midst and they're off to the races. Osman's characters are just that, and his writing does them justice. I particularly enjoyed the leader of the group, a woman who doesn't exactly say so but was clearly a spy in her former life. She is so smart. I want to be her when I grow up. The Man Who Died Twice is Osman's follow-up. I'm trying not to read it too soon. Perhaps some episodes of "Murder She Wrote" are in order in the meantime. 

Young Jane Young and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. Speaking of charming books, both Young Jane Young and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry made me smile from start to finish. I know, I know -- they're not hot off the press, having been written in 2017 and 2014, respectively. But I found copies on my bookshelf from Book Expos past, and they proved the perfect companions for my summer travels. 

Young Jane Young begins with the story of Aviva Grossman as a young woman. She's an intern working for her married Congressman who falls for his charm. What's a guy to do? (If you're thinking shades of Monica Lewinsky, you've got it right.) Surprise, surprise -- things don't work out and it becomes a public mess. So Aviva hightails it to parts unknown where she changes her name and begins a new life. The story is told not only through Aviva's perspective but through that of her incredibly precocious daughter and her mother who still lives in the community in which the scandal occurred. In Zevin's hand, the story is both laugh out loud funny and a tribute to strong women everywhere. 

Having loved Young Jane Young, it wasn't hard to persuade myself to try Zevin's The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. The novel is set in a bookstore, one of my favorite places to spend time. If you're not familiar with the premise, the curmudgeonly A.J. Fikry is a bookstore owner who's having a hard time of it. His adored wife has passed away, leaving him adrift. And his rare collection of poems by Edgar Allan Poe poems has been stolen. Just as he's wondering if life is worth living, Fikry finds himself with a young child to raise. Suffice it to say that Zevin is a whiz at depicting girls who are smart and wise beyond their years. It's a wonderful story that I would go so far as to call life affirming. More, please! 

The Trees
 by Percival Everett.
 When The Trees appeared on multiple best book of the year lists, I was curious. The book is billed as "an uncanny literary thriller addressing the painful legacy of lynching in the United States." The word "uncanny" intrigued me. It seemed like such an odd description. Reading on, I learned the book opens with the brutal murders of two white men in Mississippi and that the body of a Black man resembling Emmett Till was also found at the crime scene. I was in. Let me tell you, I could not put this book down. The story is crazy and I can't begin to explain it. (I've tried and failed.) It's funny in parts -- Percival's characterization of the Mississippi rednecks is classic as are the reactions of the Black law enforcement officials sent in to investigate the crimes. But the story is also a serious reminder of a tragic part of our country's history and made me think about where we are as a country today. I am eager to read more of Everett's work, including his Pulitzer-nominated Telephone

Call Us What We Carry
 by Amanda Gorman.
As a general rule, I don't read poetry. But when my sister gave her son a copy of Call Us What We Carry for Christmas, I was curious. Of course I knew Gorman from her impressive reading of "The Hill We Climb" at the inauguration. Suffice it to say that she is not a one hit wonder. Every page I randomly opened to drew me in. Much of her writing is not what I think of as traditional poetry. One poem -- entitled "America" -- is written on the stripes of a black and white flag. "Code in Code" is in the form of a game of hangman while "At First" is a series of text boxes. Some works are in shapes that give additional meaning to her words, like the urn shape of a poem about the pandemic (among other things). And then there are the words themselves. It's incomprehensible to me how a woman so young can be so brilliant in every meaning of the word. I know this sounds odd, but Call Us What We Carry is a book I'm proud to have on my bookshelf, and one I know I'll return to time and time again. I encourage you to give it a try. 

And with that, 2021 is drawing to a close. Here's to a happy and healthy new year filled with friends, family, love, laughter and whatever makes you smile. 
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url